Veterinary Practice Act
Reviews of decisions made under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003
From 4 May 2020, SACAT will have review jurisdiction under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003. This will enable a person to review a decision made by the Veterinary Surgeons Board of SA regarding the registration of people as veterinary surgeons or veterinary services providers and the accreditation of facilities as veterinary hospitals.
SACAT will also be empowered to hear disciplinary complaints against veterinary surgeons and veterinary services providers.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
The Tribunal has the power to review the following decisions of the Veterinary Surgeons Board of SA:
- a refusal by the Board to register, or reinstate the registration of, a person
- the imposition by the Board of conditions on a person's registration
- a refusal by the Board to vary or revoke a condition imposed by the Board on a person's registration
- a refusal by the Board to grant a waiver or modification under this Act in relation to a person or person's registration
- a direction by the Board to remove a person from a register
- a decision made by the Board in proceedings under regarding medical fitness
- a refusal by the Board to accredit a facility as a veterinary hospital or a decision of the Board to suspend or cancel the accreditation of such a facility.
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
An application for review must be made within 1 month of the making of the determination by the Board.
If the reasons of the Board are not given in writing at the time of making the determination and the applicant (within one month of the making of the determination) requires the Commissioner to state the reasons in writing, the time for making an application for review runs from the time at which the applicant receives the written statement of those reasons.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision by the Veterinary Surgeons Board of SA you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to review – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘veterinary’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 4, and then 6).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.
Veterinary Practice Act 2003