South Australian Skills Act
Reviews of decisions made under the South Australian Skills Act 2008
From 2 December 2019, SACAT was conferred review jurisdiction under the Training and Skills Development Act 2008.
On 1 July 2021, the South Australian Skills Act 2008 came into effect, amending the Training and Skills Development Act 2008 and enabling SACAT to review certain decisions made by the South Australian Skills Commission.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
SACAT can review the following decisions of the South Australian Skills Commission:
- a decision in relation to the declaration of a prohibited employer
- a decision to refuse to register or renew a registration, to impose a condition on a registration or to vary, suspend or cancel a registration
- a decision to approve or refuse to approve a substitution of an employer in relation to a training contract
- a decision to refuse an application for recognition of a person’s qualifications or experience
- a decision to refuse an application by a person under 15 years of age to enter into a training contract
- a decision to approve or refuse an application to extend the probationary period for a training contract
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged:
- within 28 days of receiving notice of the relevant decision
- in special circumstances, the Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision by the South Australian Skills Commission you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to review – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘skills’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 4, and then 6).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.