Health Care Act
Reviews of decisions made under the Health Care Act 2008
From 2 December 2019, SACAT will have review jurisdiction under the Health Care Act 2008. This will enable a person to review a decision made by the Minister for Health and Wellbeing about licences for non-emergency ambulance services, private hospitals or private day procedure centres.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
The Tribunal has the power to review the following decisions of the Minister for Health and Wellbeing:
- A decision concerning the licensing of a non-emergency ambulance services
- A decision concerning the licensing of a private hospital
- A decision concerning the licensing of a private day procedure centre
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
An application for review must be made within one month of the Minister making the decision.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision by the Minister you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to review – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘health care’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 4, and then 5).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.