From 4 October 2018, SACAT will have review jurisdiction under the Electricity Act 1996 (SA). This will enable SACAT to review decisions of the Essential Services Commission of South Australia, Authorised Officer and the Technical Regulator.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
SACAT can review decisions of the Essential Services Commission to:
- Issue or vary the terms or conditions of an electricity industry entity’s licence
- Transfer an electricity industry entity’s licence
- Refuse an application for an electricity industry entity licence
- Suspend or cancel an electricity industry entity’s licence.
SACAT can review a decision of an Authorised Officer to issue an enforcement notice to secure compliance with a requirement imposed by or under the Act.SACAT can also review a decision of the Technical Regulator about the issue of a direction under the Act.
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within:
- 10 working days from the date of receipt of notice of the decision
- In special circumstances, the Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision of the Essential Services Commission or Technical Regulator you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘electricity act’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 5 - for reviews of Government Decisions).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at email@example.com, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.