Common housing disputes

If you have a residential renting or leasing dispute, you can first try to discuss and resolve it with the other party. If you haven’t been able to resolve it together, an application can be made to SACAT to seek resolution.

Here we provide examples of disputes commonly dealt with by SACAT. If you are not sure whether your housing dispute can be dealt with by SACAT, contact us on 1800 723 767.

Residential tenancies and rooming houses 

o   applications to end a tenancy and/or for possession of a property for

o    applications about the parties’ rights during a tenancy – for example, disputes about

  • a landlord’s right of access to a property
  • a tenant’s right to a reasonably secure property 
  • sub-leasing or unauthorised alterations.
  • disputes arising at the end of a tenancy – for example 
  • applications for payment of the security bond and compensation, 
  • disputes about unclaimed possessions left at the property 
  • disputes concerning entries on a database

o    disputes about house rules for a rooming house.

Residential parks

o    applications to terminate and/or for possession of a park site for 

o    applications concerning the removal of a dwelling or other possessions left on a site.

Retirement villages

o    disputes about 

  • the repayment of a premium
  • increases in maintenance charges
  • disclosure of information to residents.