Veterinary Practice Act
Disciplinary complaints made under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003
From 4 May 2020, SACAT will receive original jurisdiction under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003 to receive and determine disciplinary matters against veterinary surgeons and service providers registered in South Australia.
Under the Act, SACAT is empowered to:
- reprimand the person;
- impose a fine not exceeding $10 000 on the person;
- disqualify the person from general registration, specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or both general and specialist registration, under this Act;
- prohibit the person from carrying on business as a veterinary services provider;
- prohibit the person from occupying a position of authority in a trust or corporate entity that is a veterinary services provider
if the person has general registration -
- impose conditions on the person's registration restricting the person's right to provide veterinary treatment
- suspend the person's registration for a period not exceeding 1 year;
- cancel the person's registration;
if the person has specialist registration -
- suspend the person's specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or the person's general and specialist registration, under this Act for a period not exceeding 1 year;
- cancel the person's specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or the person's general and specialist registration, under this Act;
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
When applying to SACAT you must be in a position to:
- Identify the legislative provision(s) you rely on.
- State and describe the conduct said to justify the disciplinary findings, and identify the relevant legislative provisions relied upon.
- Identify the facts, acts or omissions alleged to constitute the conduct that justifies the disciplinary finding.
- Provide any supporting documents.
- Pay any relevant application fees.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘architect’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you in completing the application please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 4, then 7).
There is no fee to lodge a disciplinary complaint with the Tribunal under the Health Practitioners Regulation National Law (South Australia) Act 2010.
Veterinary Practice Act 2003