Children and young people

On this page:


SACAT is a Tribunal that can review some decisions made by the Department of Child Protection (DCP).

SACAT is not connected to the DCP and will not take sides when reviewing your matter.

If you are unhappy with a decision made by the DCP which relates to your:

  • placement arrangements:
  • education;
  • medical treatment
  • or some other decision made by the DCP

you may be able to apply to SACAT to review that decision.

Making an application to SACAT

If you do not agree with an important decision that relates to you, you can telephone SACAT and we will assist you over the phone.

Call us on 7424 7189

We can give you information about how the application will be dealt with and who can help you.

If you wish to apply on-line yourself or you already have someone who can help you complete the on-line form.

click here 

What must be done before I come to SACAT

You need to lodge an internal review with the DCP before you can come to SACAT. Speak to someone in the Department for Child Protection to find out more.

Once the Department has decided your internal review, you can make your application to SACAT.

SACAT and you

SACAT needs to hear from you in order to make the correct decision. SACAT wants to make it as easy and comfortable for you to be involved as possible.

You can participate in a way that best suits you. Tell us what will work best for you. Options can include:

  • at our office with a support person or a legal representative; or
  • via phone call; or
  • via video link at our office by yourself; or
  • in some instances we can come to you.

SACAT can send you a letter, email or text message to notify you of the date, time and location of your hearing. Tell us which one best suits you.

Who else will SACAT speak to?

SACAT will also speak to representatives of the DCP and any other family members or support workers that have been invited by the Tribunal because they have an ongoing role or interest in your care.

You will not need to be present when SACAT speaks to the other people involved in your care, but in most instances you can be if you wish to be.

What happens at SACAT

If you come to our office you will be greeted by a receptionist who will direct you to where you need to be.

Who you can bring to SACAT

The Tribunal can arrange for someone to assist you or if you wish we can arrange for someone to speak on your behalf. You can also bring a friend or family member to sit with you in the hearing.

SACAT’s role

If you or someone else decides to lodge a review application with SACAT we will decide if the decision made by the DCP is

  • correct; or
  • should be changed

SACAT will most likely hold a number of hearings to hear from you and others. You will be given a copy of the written decision.


Coming to SACAT will cost you nothing.

Help available to you

There is help available for you, and you should never feel like you have to do this by yourself. Call us on 7424 7189 for help, or contact one of the following organisations.

Guardian for Children and Young people

Legal Services Commission:

8226 8570

1300 366 424

Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement:

Women's Legal Service (SA)

8113 3777

8221 3553