births, deaths and marriages

From 5 July 2018, SACAT will have original and review jurisdiction under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996. This will enable SACAT to make its own decisions under the Act and to review decisions of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Types of Applications that can be made by SACAT

SACAT can:

  • Resolve a dispute between parents about a child’s name
  • Approve an application by a parent to change a child’s name
  • Order the registration of a death
  • Correct registration of a death

At the time of applying to SACAT for an order under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Act you must:

  1. If you are applying to the Tribunal to resolve a dispute between parents about a child’s name, or to propose a change of the name of a child you should submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate or if they were born overseas a copy of their passport with your application.
  2. Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.

How to apply:

Click here to start an online application.  In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘births’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.

If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.

If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 3).


There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.

Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options. 

Organisations that may be able to assist you:

  • Births, Deaths and Marriages, Consumer and Business Services – 131 882 or
  • Legal Services Commission - – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.
  • Welfare Rights Centre - – The Welfare Rights Centre will provide free legal advice to people who are low income earners or are at risk of homelessness. In some instances the Welfare Rights Centre may represent a member of public at the Tribunal.


Relevant legislation: