Reviews orders made by the Registrar of Firearms
From 1 July 2017, SACAT will have a review jurisdiction under the Firearms Act 2015. This will enable reviews of certain decisions made by the Registrar of Firearms (who is the Commissioner of Police) under the Firearms Act 2015.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
SACAT can review the following decisions of the Registrar of Firearms:
- Refusal of licence or licence renewal;
- Refusal of a permit or registration
- Imposition of a limitations or condition on a licence or permit;
- Variation of licence or permit;
- Cancellation or suspension of a licence, permit or registration;
- Imposition of a firearms prohibition order; and
- Refusal to approve a person as a company’s nominated person in control of the company firearms
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged:
- within 28 days from the date that the order or notice was issued;
- In special circumstances, the Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a Registrar of Firearms decision, you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. Please use the following as a guide on how to start your application;
- Type firearm into the keyword search OR select Administrative Review then Firearms Act from the drop-down menus.
- The four firearm application types will appear at the end of the list
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 3).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at email@example.com , or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.