children and young people
Decisions of the Chief Executive, to provide young people and approved carers with certain information, to involve approved carers to participate in decision-making, to enter voluntary custody agreements.
Reviews of decisions made under the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 (SA)
From 26 February 2018, SACAT will have a review jurisdiction under the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 (SA). This will enable reviews of certain decisions made by the Chief Executive after they have been internally reviewed within the Department for Child Protection.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
SACAT can review the following decisions of the Chief Executive:
- Providing information to approved carers and to the child or young person
- Involving approved carers in the decision-making process about the child or young person
- Relating to voluntary custody agreements.
The decision must first be internally reviewed within the Department for Child Protection before it can be reviewed by SACAT.
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged:
- Within 28 days from the date that the order or notice was issued;
- In special circumstances, the Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision of the Chief Executive, you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘child’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 3).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at email@example.com, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.
- The Guardian for Children and Young People - 1800 275 664 - The Guardian is appointed to advocate for and promote the rights and best interests of the children and young people under the guardianship of the Minister for Education and Child Development.
- Welfare Rights Centre - www.wrcsa.org.au The Welfare Rights Centre will provide free legal advice to people who are low income earners or are at risk of homelessness. In some instances the Welfare Rights Centre may represent a member of public at the Tribunal.